Do-It-Yourself Sweet or Salty Tortilla Chips
I love these chips because, like most of the foods I try to publish, they are super simple. I have seen so many people make variations of these, and I finally decided, I have to try them. I did, and they were wonderful! Make them any shape you like, dust them with any spice that suits you, but MAKE THEM. Here’s how I did it.
- 6″ Corn Tortillas (Each tortilla makes 4 triangles)
- Oil for frying (I use peanut oil)
- Heat Oil to 360˚F. You can use a deep fryer, but I use a small pot with about 4 inches of oil.
- Slice tortillas vertically and horizontally, like slicing a pizza.
- Once the oil is hot, drop in the tortillas, 4 at a time. If using a pot, you may have to flip them. Watch for browning along the edges. It takes about 30 seconds per side. Remove them to a paper towel.
- While they are still hot, sprinkle them with your spice mixture. For nachos, or regular tortilla chips, I like to simply use kosher salt. For dessert nachos, I like using a salt and sugar mixture. You can sprinkle them by hand if using spices, or you can put your spice mix in a small paper sandwich bag. Drop in your chips and shake in the bag to coat.
- Remove them and set to the side. Repeat with each batch.
- Serve however you like. These are great with salsas, dips, spreads, you name it. They make great thick chips. Try them with cinnamon and sugar to make some awesome Dessert Nachos.